This weekend has been a lot of fun for us! My friend is moving house, and we’ve had the joy of looking after her lovely kids for the weekend. She thinks we’re helping her. Heh heh. In fact, it’s all part of our evil plot to steal the adorable munchkins and keep them for ourselves!
Dexter, the young evil genius of the pair, decided we needed to bake chocolate cupcakes. A super-quick Google search delivered a delicious-looking recipe for grain-free cupcakes, and a little inventive adding and substituting delivered my new go-to cup cake recipe (until the next one appears).
Chocolate Cup Cakes
- 1 cup nut butter – we used the delicious and imminently affordable macadamia nut butter at our local Spar, but you could use anything you prefer, or even make your own. I think sunbutter would work too, though you run the risk of the cupcakes turning green.
- 1 small banana (optional but subtly delicious)
- 3 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ginger (optional)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine all the ingredients except the raisins in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the raisins and pulse for a few minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases.
- The original recipe I used said “bake for about ten minutes”. Ours took at least 20 minutes, so I recommend letting your nose guide you, and poking them with a stick when they smell done, to make doubly sure.
I’m off to bake another batch … and fill out some adoption papers, I think. This full-house thing really works for me. 😉