Texture is such an important part of the whole eating experience, and since starting SCD 9 months ago, something I’ve really missed is the lovely chewy, comforting texture of a gooey chocolate bar or a well-crafted piece of fudge… You know how delicious it is when there are no spiky sugar crystals and it’s all just smooth and satisfying? So I was delighted when I found (and tailored) this recipe – especially because it’s so quick to make!
- 1 cup of dates
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of cocoa
- a pinch of salt
- flavouring to taste (we recommend: vanilla extract, ginger or cinnamon)
- Soak the dates in about a cup of warm water (or, better still, fresh brewed filter coffee!) for roughly an hour.
- Drain the dates.
- In a food processor with an S-blade, blend the dates, cocoa, salt and any spices until they form a thick paste.
- Add the coconut oil and blend very well until super smooth. This can take up to 20 minutes. It’s noisy but well worth the wait.
- Turn into a wax-paper lined dish and refrigerate until set (roughly an hour).
- Cut into pieces and serve.